- laid off from job end of January 2015
- I am 34, wife is 29. I am a US Citizen. Wife is Thai National with US residency
- wife was diagnosed with signet ring adenocarcinoma cancer one week ago
- did not sign up for ACA when we had the chance (reason: arrogance & stupidity)
- we live in Missouri
- zero debt
- $99,000 left on mortgage
- ~450,000 in cash savings, investments, retirement
- currently receiving $1800 per month in unemployment insurance until Aug 2015
EDIT - As of 2:49 AM CST on 6/25/2015 - I just got off the phone with someone very kind on the ACA helpline. We figured out together that losing my unemployment insurance in August counts as a life changing event and therefore as of August 1 I am able to enroll myself and my wife into a plan. She is eligible for the full subsidy and will have almost 100% coverage for $40 per month. I am so happy that I'm crying.
I wonder if he'll still vote Republican in the fall - knowing that if they win the White House and Congress, his wife's insurance will go bye-bye. In other words, the jury is still out on his "arrogance and stupidity" and by 2017, his insurance could be cancelled, unless Hillary wins the White House.