1. To be a Neurosurgeon, you have to be a smart guy.
2. Ben Carson is a Neurosurgeon.
3. Ergo, Ben Carson is a Smart Guy.
4. By extension, anything he says is right, because smart guys are never wrong.
1. Credentialism sucks.2. We should be able to discuss ideas without people shaming ideas themselves. "How dare you blame the poor for their own plight!" isn't engendering discussion.3. Carson is right - your mindset has a lot to do with how well you do in life.4. Carson is wrong, the terms "right mindset" and "wrong mindset" are not accurate. "Poor mindset" and "wealth mindset" might be better terms.5. The Times is wrong that the poor mindset is caused by poverty but right in that poverty makes it a helluva lot easier to obtain the poor mindset - and makes it very hard to shake it.6. I am skeptical that education or throwing money at people can improve their mindset. Poor mindset attitudes are imprinted early on in life and obtained from parents and peers. Even first grade is far too late to instill a different mindset in a child - and you'd have to have the same mindset instilled in the parents and peers as well (which is why moving to a wealthier neighborhood is such a good idea mentally).