1. It Ain't Gonna Happen: We are so in bed with the Chinese now, that the likelihood of a "Free Tibet" just isn't going to happen in our lifetime - if ever. Like most of these nationalist movements, we've used it as a wedge issue to annoy an adversary, without any real intent of following through. Yes, the Dalai Lama has been paid by the CIA - close to a million bucks over the years, and even ran an insurgency training camp in Colorado. But like America's support for Cuban refugees and the Bay of Pigs invasion, there was never a serious intent to "overthrow" Castro - just to be an annoyance.
2. He's a CIA Agent: Yes, this innocent holy man has taken money from the CIA. Penn and Teller have an excellent video on this, and not surprisingly, all the "peace and love" hippies are calling Penn and Teller horrible names, including fascist, because instead of blindly following a charismatic leader, they did some research on the issue. How odd, hippies following a CIA plant. But that is the nature of manipulation, and "useful idiots".
3. He's a Homophobe: You may recall the comments the Dalai Lama made about homosexuality - which he quickly clarified (but did not retract) when he realized that many Gays were blindly contributing to "Free Tibet" causes and also many hippies might catch on to the game. He backpedaled so fast on that one, it wasn't funny. And while "clarifying" he initial remarks, he still stuck to the same old line that the Pope uses - homosexuality is bad, period, but we should pray for the "sinners".
Many people blindly assume that a Buddist dude wearing a sheet has to be all peace and love. But the reality is, the government of Tibet prior to the Communists, was little better than life under the Taliban. Communism sucks, but the Dalai Lama is no sweetheart, either.
And speaking of Taliban, you'd better check out Buddhism in detail before you go embracing it, if you are Gay. Homosexuality is a No-No in the Buddhist religion. So you might as well join the Catholic Church as become a Buddhist. The hypocrisy factor is about the same. Well, at least the Catholics are up front about it!
4. He's Filthy Rich: It is hard to put a dollar amount on his wealth, but he owns homes on several continents and is hardly starving. Many hippies blindly assume that since he wears a sheet, he has assumed some vow of poverty. Au Contraire. This guy was basically the Shah of Tibet - living the life of luxury while his people starved. But of course, they don't talk about that aspect of his life very much.
5. Non-Violent, My Ass: As noted in the Penn & Teller video, he was paid to run an insurgency training camp in Colorado, and not uncoincidentally, a few years later, his monks ran amok in Tibet, setting fires to buildings and causing havoc. Doesn't sound very non-violent, does it?
6. He's a Communist: This blogsite claims that the Dalai Lama embraces Marxism. I am not sure if that is indeed correct, but it conflicts with his role as the fabulously wealthy leader of Tibet. On the other hand, there are a lot of liberal people who are millionaires who think Communism is a swell idea. So go figure.
7. He's a Despot: The position of Dalai Lama is not an elected one. He wants us to return him to power in Tibet as the unelected dictatorial leader of the country. Again, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. But it begs the question - why are we supporting what would be a dictatorial theocracy in Tibet, while decrying the same type of government in Iran? And life for the average person under the DL in Tibet was basically that of a serf. So why are we supporting this guy again?